Steveston Smiles Tooth Talk
Keep Your Smile In Shape!
For the patients of Dr. Michele Nielsen, Dr. Doug Nielsen, Dr. Bob Jamieson and Dr. Selena Chow
From the Dentists
The results of the Richmond News’s Best of Richmond are in and we have two dentists in the top 3. Dr. Bob Jamieson was voted in at #2 and Dr. Michele Nielsen at #3. We have been in the top 3 every year since this contest was originated in 2008 and we are honoured to be recognized again this year.
A heartfelt thank-you to everyone who voted for us in the 2016 Richmond News’s Best of Richmond Contest, it is because of wonderful people like you that we have the opportunity to be fulfilled and do what we love on a daily basis. We genuinely care for and respect our clients while treating them like family. It shows and we appreciate your votes.
A special thank-you to all our staff: Jackie, Jacky, Nancy, Linda Sandy, Joanne, Lisa, Michelle, Maria, Kathy, Bonnie, Kristina and Navi. Our devoted team works hard to make our office great. They put you, the client, first and focus on improving your oral health on a daily basis.
Dr. Bob Jamieson, Dr. Michele Nielsen, Dr. Doug Nielsen, and Dr. Selena Chow.
We are sad to say that another member of the Steveston Smiles family has moved too far away to commute to work. Jacky’s husband was transferred to Kelowna for a job opportunity he couldn’t turn down. Jacky has been a valuable member of our team for over 15 years. It is heartbreaking for us to lose Jacky as part of our dental family. We will miss seeing her smiling face every day. We wish you all the best in your new adventure.
Happy Retirement Nancy
Nancy has decided to retire. She has been in the dental field for over forty years. She has worked as an educational assistant with Vancouver Health Department, a CDA in both a private practice and Children’s Hospital, and currently as a dental receptionist/business administrator. Nancy will have more time to spend her family in Birch Bay as well as cruising, travelling, and spending time with her four grandchildren. We will miss you Nancy!
Welcome Jen and Mandy!
Welcome Jen to our office. Jen is working as a dental hygienist at our office while Bonnie is on maternity leave. Jen is a self-motivated and energetic individual with over 20 years of experience delivering quality patient care in diverse dental and medical environments. She has experience in private and hospital dental practices, knowledge of Orthodontic, Periodontal and Paediatric dentistry. She is empathetic, supportive, Co-operative, caring team member; eager to learn new techniques and dedicated to maintaining superior level of skills. It is a pleasure to have Jen as part of our team.
Mandy has joined our front desk staff. Mandy started her career in dentistry as a chair side assistant. Soon after realized that she enjoyed working at the front desk. In 2013, she completed the dental office administrator program. She loves being able to communicate with patients and help and them with their dental health. She was born in Merritt, BC. Mandy currently lives with her husband, Harry and his family in Surrey. In her spare time she enjoys doing free lance Bridal makeup and hair design. Her hobbies include running, Bikrams hot yoga, and spending time with family and her niece and nephews.
It’s a girl! Bonnie and her husband Will welcomed their new baby girl Charlotte on March 30 at 9:56am weighing 7lbs4oz. Mom and baby are doing well. Congratulations to Bonnie and her family!
Happy Smile Club Party
Thank-you to everyone who came out to enjoy our Happy Smile Club Party on April 16th at the Steveston Community Centre. This is one of our favourite days of the year as we love connecting with you and our community while having fun at the same time. More photos from the event and the Photo Booth are up on our Facebook page.
Extra Floss? Try These Tricks:
WE KNOW, WE KNOW… We ask you about flossing every time you come visit us! It is an integral part of your oral hygiene routine and essential for healthy gums and teeth. But did you know there’s more to floss than cleaning between your teeth? Dental floss can actually be used for a lot of other things!
Eight Useful Dental Floss Hacks
Have some extra floss lying around? Don’t have the right equipment and need to get a job done in a pinch? Try these cool dental floss hacks.
- Use floss for perfectly sliced cake. Ever slice a cake and the knife comes up with half of the cake on it? Use flavorless dental floss to make the perfect slice by stretching it taut and gently pressing through the cake. Pull it out when you reach the bottom and voila!
- Don’t have any kitchen twine? Floss will do. Some foods like meat and bacon need to be bound when cooked. Usually kitchen twine takes care of this but what if you run out? Floss (again, flavorless) has got you covered!
- Floss can help you start a campfire. Believe it or not, waxed dental floss burns well! Wrap dental floss around a match or a dry piece of wood to increase burn time.
- Floss can clean out those hard-to-reach spots in your furniture. You know those small cracks and crevices in your wooden furniture that you can never manage to clean? Well, dental floss is meant to get into nooks and crannies! Try it on your wooden furniture. You’ll thank us later.
- Floss is great for sewing. Whether you’re out of thread or in need of something more durable, floss works well for sewing on buttons and patching up holes on the fly.
- Are your freshly-baked cookies stuck to the baking sheet? Floss ‘em!Dental floss can unstick your cookies without leaving anything behind.
- Dental floss can even help in the garden. If you’re training a vine to grow a certain direction, floss can help! Use it to attach the vine loosely to the structure you want the vine to climb.
- Floss makes for an easy DIY clothesline. If you’re camping, in a hotel, or simply don’t have room in the dryer, floss can be used to create your own clothesline. Yes, it’s that strong!
Let’s Be Honest, Floss Is Awesome
Whether you’re using floss to patch something up or slice your birthday cake, always remember to use it for what it was made for, to clean in between your teeth! Daily flossing protects your beautiful smile from periodontal disease and tooth loss, so yeah, we’d say it’s pretty awesome!
Know some more flossing hacks? Post them in the comments below or on our Facebook page! We’d love to hear from you!
We have the best patients in the world!
Image by Flickr user brett jordan used under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 license. Image cropped and modified from original.
Hygienists: Jackie, Sandy, Bonnie, Maria, Kathy, Jen
CDAs: Joanne, Navi, Kristina, Michelle, Lisa
Reception: Linda, Mandy, Navi, Kristina
Dentists:Dr. Michele Nielsen, Dr. Doug Nielsen, Dr. Bob Jamieson, Dr. Selena Chow